ZOMG, new to me author Ilsa Madden-Mills gave us a stunning combination of New Adult Romance, and Enemies to Lovers PERFECTION, in I Promise You!!

"I pick you whispers through the right side of my brain while simultaneously me left side yells Danger, danger."

Dillon, starting quarterback of Waylon University, comes off just as everyone expects, an elite jock born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He failed at the most basic superstition of the freshman bonfire: don't kiss any girls, they'll steal your soul. The other problem? The stress of maintaining the starting position, his grades, and keeping up the façade of that elite jock might just end him before the end of the year.

Serena is brilliant! I love her sassy mouth, her fierceness, and her eidetic memory for statistics (that ramps up when she's nervous) is absolutely inspired. But Serena's hiding things too, grief from her parents death, a guy that didn't treat her right, and maybe an attraction to the that elite jock, she's hiding it all, just maybe not that well.

The side characters are hilarious, from Serena's family (including a HOT cop who I hope gets a book) to Dillon's fellow football players, a backup quarterback with a chip on his shoulder a mile wide, and another who bears an uncanny resemblance to the Winter Soldier from Captain America. All of them invested, one way or another, in seeing Serena and Dillon together.




"Dillon?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't hurt me."


His eyes widen.

"Never, I promise."

Later, I'd remember his lie.


This is already breaking my heart, I've loved watching them come closer to each other, backing away nervously. Are either of them ready for a commitment? Is Dillon using Serena for this stupid football/Theta sorority challenge? Is Serena incapable of getting out of her own way?

Just when I thought we might be home clear, with a fabulous touchdown to top it off, Dillon has to do something so COLLOSALLY STUPID Serena may never forgive him, despite his own damaged heart. Is Serena pushing him away due to past heartache, or is she the smart one to move on before Dillon crushes her soul in a way she's almost sure will ruin her forever?

Dillon is hurting too, so many things... things men don's talk about. The grief of losing his brother, the loss of his Dad when he rebuilt his family leaving Dillon so far behind he couldn't even see him, his football season crumbling around him, and now Serena? Can they find their way back or is it truly over?

New to me author, Ilsa Madden-Mills, slayed I Promise You with three of my favourite things: sassy, fierce women, football, and chosen family that love each other no matter the ups and downs life throws at them!! Make sure you grab this 5 star treat now, it is funny, sexy, and fabulous!

Comments

Popular Posts